It was no secret that House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi is no big fan of President Trump’s proposal to build a wall across the U.S. southern border, but it wasn’t until this week that we were treated to a laundry list of eight things Pelosi would rather do with taxpayer money. In a Twitter rant on Friday, Pelosi listed the agenda items in a series of tweets. Here they are, in case you think one of the nation’s top Democrats can convince you that border security is, you know, not really a big deal after all.
“President Donald Trump, that border wall funding you are asking for (again) could do so much more good in other places…”
- “Job training for workers”
- “Treatment for people addicted to #opioids”
- “Provide the VA with urgently needed resources to keep America’s promise to #veterans”
- “Help #PuertoRico & #USVI in ongoing effort to rebuild in the wake of massive hurricanes”
- “Give a helping hand to communities devastated by #wildfires”
- “Make a meaningful step towards saving pensions for some of the millions of Americans whose retirement savings are at risk”
- “Increase @StateDept funding”
- “Help families gain access to high-speed internet”
At the end of her List-Mania, Pelosi concluded by saying, “All of these and more would do a far better job of improving the everyday lives of American families than your ineffective & immoral wall. No thanks.”
No, thank you, Ms. Pelosi, for that enlightening look into your liberal propaganda chest. But it occurs to us that this reads like a campaign commercial and the sad fact of the matter is: Your side lost the election. Trump’s wall was not an obscure point of his campaign by any stretch of the imagination. If you voted for Trump, then by extension you voted to see the wall built. It’s a little late for Pelosi’s lame list. The American people have spoken, and we want to see President Trump’s agenda implemented by our representatives.
We don’t expect that Pelosi or any other top Democrats will come around to the idea of building a wall anytime soon, but it’s remarkable that a sitting U.S. Representative can call border security “immoral.” She’s essentially saying that it is immoral to keep illegal immigrants from flooding into our country. By extension, she’s saying a major part of U.S. law is immoral. Is that really what Pelosi believes? Is she saying in this tweet that she favors open borders? We don’t know how else to read it.
The brilliant thing about Trump’s hardline immigration agenda is that it is finally forcing Democrats to show the country how radical and extreme they are when it comes to this issue.