A new CBS News poll shows that American voters are apparently paying pretty close attention to the 2020 Democratic primaries. They’ve seen Joe Biden call town hall attendees “fat,” and challenge them to random push-up contests. They’ve seen Pete Buttigieg struggle to win over even a half a percent of black support in the south. They’ve watched Elizabeth Warren crash and burn, taken out of the sky by the overwhelming weight of her own lies. They’ve observed as Michael Bloomberg spent his way to the debate stage only to be brutally murdered, rhetorically, by his opponents. They’ve watched as, slowly but surely, the race has turned into a one-man show: The Communist Circus of Crazy Bernie Sanders.
And they’ve come to a conclusion: None of these yahoos has a chance in hell of beating Donald Trump in November.
The poll found that 31% of registered voters believe that Trump will “definitely” win a second term this fall while another 34% have concluded that he will “probably” win re-election. That’s a total of 65% of the voting public that does not think Democrats have what it takes to win this race. The numbers get even stronger when you limit the poll’s respondents to Republicans alone: 9 in 10 right-of-center voters think Trump is headed for a second term in office. And even among Democrats, more than a third of registered voters think Trump will prevail.
Similar results were found in a new Sienna College poll of New Yorkers: 62% believe that Trump is going to win while only 29% think he’ll be defeated.
It’s hard to see how it could go down any other way. President Trump’s approval ratings are sitting at an all-time high following the impeachment debacle in Washington. According to Gallup polls, he’s just posted his first approval numbers that weren’t underwater with 49% approval and 48% disapproval. Firehouse Strategies recently found that Trump would defeat every single Democrat in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania if the election were held today.
But it’s more than just numbers and polling. Look at the rallies. Look at the New Jersey event Trump put on last month, where nearly 200,000 Americans applied to get tickets and many thousands waited in line for up to 48 hours just to have a chance to get into the event. This wasn’t a one-off deal. All around the country, Trump brings out his supporters in droves that would put a shine of envy into most of the pop stars currently dominating Billboard, to say nothing of the Democratic candidates. The energy levels are through the roof.
This election is Trump’s to lose, and he’s not a guy accustomed to losing.