Only a day after ABC News went to press with their latest “bombshell” fake news story about President Trump’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, the Pentagon officially nuked the nonsense out of orbit, once again making the mainstream media look like the anti-Trump parasites that they have always proven themselves to be.

In a statement on Wednesday, Col. R. Shane Day of the National Center for Medical Intelligence at the Defense Intelligence Agency said that while his agency rarely comments on matters of “specific intelligence,” he would make an exception for ABC News’s recent story. Yes, that’s how bad it was.

“In the interest of transparency during this current public health crisis, we can confirm that media reporting about the existence/release of a National Center for Medical Intelligence Coronavirus-related product/assessment in November of 2019 is not correct. No such NCMI product exists,” he said.

On background, another defense official said that this wasn’t just the Pentagon covering for the White House. He said that the NCMI and DIA had spent much of the last 24 hours poring over every possible document looking for anything relating to the topic of a coming pandemic in November of last year. They came up with absolutely nothing.

That contrasts pretty sharply with ABC News’s original report on Wednesday:

As far back as late November, U.S. intelligence officials were warning that a contagion was sweeping through China’s Wuhan region, changing the patterns of life and business and posing a threat to the population, according to four sources briefed on the secret reporting.

Concerns about what is now known to be the novel coronavirus pandemic were detailed in a November intelligence report by the military’s National Center for Medical Intelligence (NCMI), according to two officials familiar with the document’s contents.

The report was the result of analysis of wire and computer intercepts, coupled with satellite images. It raised alarms because an out-of-control disease would pose a serious threat to U.S. forces in Asia — forces that depend on the NCMI’s work. And it paints a picture of an American government that could have ramped up mitigation and containment efforts far earlier to prepare for a crisis poised to come home.

If ABC News’s story had been correct, it would have indeed been a major bombshell – far beyond anything it may have said about Trump’s response. It would have meant that the U.S. Defense Department knew about a deadly epidemic spreading throughout Wuhan before even the Chinese knew about it. Now, we’re confident that the U.S. has some of the most extraordinary resources and intelligence in the world, but…that good? Hmm, not so sure about that.

The best conclusion that we can draw is that ABC News really screwed the pooch on this one.